Thursday, July 16, 2015

What Are We Reading



Z LOVES to read ( or be read to).  John and I both are avid readers and we started collecting books for Z before he was even born.  We each bought some of our favorites from childhood, gathered up some of the older boys favorites  and also found some new ones that we hadn't heard of before.  One of the best gifts we got when he was born was a big box of books from Ken and Virgina Pickle and Melissa Pickle Taheri.  I think this is an awesome gift idea for new parents, they said that they have a list of books that they love to give.  There were some books I  had read before and some I had never heard of.  One book in particular became John's favorite book to read to Z before bedtime, It is by Nancy Tillman called On the Night You Were Born.  The story is simple, about how nature reacted to the child's birth, the wind whispered, "Life will never be the same."  The pictures are amazing, soft and detailed telling a story even without the words.  We read this book at least once everyday, usually more.  We don't always read all the words, there are details in the pictures on each page that Z gravitates to.  The Moon on the first page ( he loves the moon), the frog, the ladybugs.  He does this funny  UH OH every time we get to the page with he picture of a tree who's leaves are falling off. The familiar cadence of the words lets him know what is about to happen.  He has other favorites, I have taped and retaped the spines of several books that he has "loved" too much. We have bought several others by this author and while they are sweet and he enjoys them, he always comes back to On the Night You Were Born, it holds a special place in our nightly routine.



Does your child have a favorite book?  Do you remember your favorite from childhood?  I would love to know what they are, we are always looking for a new story.



Laura


8 comments:

  1. That's a lovely book - and opens up opportunities to talk about your family's own birth stories. Gorgeous photo of your book-lover-to-be too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No kids I'm afraid but I'm a huge proponent of reading for kids. My brother and I both read a lot and our parents read to us and encouraged us and we both grew up to be readers (and to not entirely hate school).

    I love the sound of this book! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Learn by example...or something like that. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. That book sounds awesome, I might look it up! My boys favourites are My Cat Likes To Hide In Boxes, Where is the Green Sheep and Dear Zoo. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We LOVE Dear Zoo...I haven't heard of the others, but I will check them out.

      Delete
  4. I haven't heard of this book but it sounds absolutely beautiful! We're loving anything Dr Seuss at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Grace for hosting the Link up. We also love Dr Suess.

    ReplyDelete