Wednesday, February 03, 2016

Honey Sriracha Chicken



I really enjoy cooking, it's kind of therapy for me. Somedays here it is just more trouble than it is worth but the effort is usually worth it in the end.  I have been dodging rain showers for the past few days so getting to the store has been a challenge to say the least.  Luckily we caught a break in the rain and the Tiny American had just had a nap so we hoofed it to the store and  stocked up on a few things to make a couple of easy meals.  I wanted to try a new recipe and I am SO glad I did.  It came together quickly and it was really good....VERY spicy, but very good.  You can of course modify the spice level by how much sriracha you add, but we like it HOT!  I also liked this recipe because I could easily cook the Tiny American's chicken at the same time I cooked ours because you make the sauce in it's own pan. So after the chicken was cooked I just pulled out his portion and then mixed the sauce and chicken together to finish it up.

This chicken has just enough sweet to balance the heat.  The breading  gives the chicken a little crunch but not heavy at all.  If you didn't want to do that step you could easily eliminate that step and just cook your chicken in a little oil. You could probably even oven bake your chicken if you wanted to for an even healthier version. However you do it it will be yummy, the sauce is where it is at! I served ours over steamed rice.  When I was cleaning up the dishes there were a few pieces of  stray chicken and a little sauce left in the pan and J made his way into the kitchen to clean that part up...I won't say he licked the pan clean, but he did his best to get all the sauce!!

Honey Sriracha Chicken

*This recipe serves 4

Ingredients

3-4 Chicken breasts, diced
1/3 Cup Cornstarch

sauce:
1 cup water
2-3 tablespoons sriracha
5 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 cup sugar
2-3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons cornstarch plus 2 tablespoons cold water

Instructions:

1. In small-medium saucepan, combine all the sauce ingredients except the cornstarch . Bring to a boil over medium heat.  Whisk together the cornstarch and water until dissolved.  Add to the sauce pan, stir until thickened.  Reduce heat to low.

2. Add diced chicken and 1/3 cup cornstarch to a large ziploc bag.  Seal and shake to coat the chicken.  Drizzle a large skillet with oil over medium heat.  Add chicken and sauté until browned and chicken is cooked through.  Add the sauce and stir to coat.

Serve over warm rice.  YUM!!




Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment