Friday, July 10, 2015

A Different Kind Of Fourth






I LOVE the holidays!  I especially love summer holidays...Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day.  Summer holidays mean family and food, swimming in the river and smores.  I knew these would not be big celebrations in Taiwan and I knew I would miss them.  For the 4th Katie and the kids were here.  We had seen an advertisement for an American Fourth of July Celebration put on by the American Chamber of Commerce in Taichung.  Our day was already going to be short because John and I had a wedding to attend in Taipei so we needed to start early. 

The event was scheduled to start at noon, PERFECT, we could go have lunch, listen to a little music, let the kids hang out in the kids area  and play some games and still be home in time to head to the wedding. I don't know what I expected.  Well that's not totally true, I expected to walk through the park amidst smells of home.  Hamburgers and hotdogs cooking on a charcoal grill, maybe some potato salad and corn on the cob. I saw nor smelled any of this. I was hoping for some county music playing on the live stage, I would have been happy with any live music playing on the stage....there was none. I think the music started later in the day as well.  In typical Taiwan fashion being late is the norm even if it's an American Celebration.

There were some vendors with booths set up.  None of which scream America to me.  TGI Fridays was there selling beer and I think they eventually sold some food but not before we left.  A few people were wandering around  but certainly not creating a celebratory mood. 
I ate a Gyro purchased from a Turkish vendor, it was delicious, but not what I had in mind.

When we were getting ready to go to the event I asked everyone to wear something patriotic in color so we could get a picture, this is what my husband chose to wear.  He does not wear loud clothes, khaki is normally his color of choice.  When my nephew made a joke about them his response was...I asked your Aunt Laura to move to Taiwan and she did, if it makes her happy for me to wear these shorts I will. He is not perfect (he might argue), he has his faults, but he loves me and will do anything in his power to make me happy even if he is slightly uncomfortable.

So there were no hamburgers, no hot dogs, not a diet Dr Pepper in sight.  We saw no fireworks, heard no country music but we were together.  Happy Birthday America and thank you to all those we have sacrificed so that we can enjoy the freedoms we have.


My sister and nephew and niece

cousins



No comments:

Post a Comment